Tuesday 20 April 2010

A world without air travel...

I am at home today because of the volcano... in a good sense (meeting cancelled). I'm sitting out on my balcony in the sun and I just spotted a plane making its way across the sky really high up. And I suddenly thought how nice it has been these last couple of days to see a beautiful big expanse of blue sky free from all those criss-cross trails and not to hear aeroplanes as part of the ambient noise of the city... I guess that's what it would be like in a world without air travel...

3 comments:

  1. I can go with that... up to a point. If there were planes flying I would have been home last Friday. Not much fun being marooned here, despite the nice weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Gill: The grounding of 63,000 flights over the past four days has saved 1.3 million tonnes of carbon dioxide, more than the annual emissions of many developing countries.

    Having said that, I do feel for poor Dad and Ka unable to go on her holiday and my friends who were selected to do special acting workshops in New York...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lal,

    Waw that's a lot! Yes, I feel for people, too. It's clear there aren't that many viable alternatives to long-haul air travel, but maybe if the world slowed down a bit (in general terms) we could use trains more for the short-haul stuff...

    ReplyDelete